Everyone knows that unless you say "Waluigi likes this" as you "like" a post, it doesn't count
Speaking of updates, here are some of the sprite improvements I've made since the original Million Tone demo! I sadly ended up releasing the demo with a fair number of crude placeholder images in place of actual sprites, so here's a comparison of those demo images to their new counterparts.
Max is much beefier and no longer has the sarashi
that I only added to begin with cuz I was lazy about drawing abs. His eyes are also consistent with Lava and Ion's, and like the others below, he received a number of new expressions. (I can neither confirm nor deny whether some of these have filenames like "baka" or "tsun".)
Prisma Carnelian's proportions and overall appearance are now much more in line with "real" magical girl works, and the Marian Stick is actually visible when the text describes her holding it. However, this means that the 90s anime jewel on her bow is covered up by her hand, so an additional gem was added to a hair ribbon. Conservation of 90s anime jewels is extremely important.
It must be noted that the final sprites of the Prismarias have unique casual outfits, rather than all wearing the exact same shorts and colorblock tee. Only Zoey appears with the original combo in the updated sprites. Again, she also received new expressions (in morphed and civilian form) such that she no longer appears to regard everything with amusement.
Prisma Lapis is no longer a mere palette swap of Carnelian. This pose and design express the character's personality much better.
I've been hard at work on proper sprites for Million Tone recently, and I usually do this by making a couple of standard expressions most characters need, then looking over the character's scenes and drawing any additional emotions it would make sense for them to have. Prisma Lapis, however, ended up with the following expressions:
- normal [frowning]
- different frown
- smiling [currently unused]
- crying with open mouth
I probably forgot to mention this, but when I say things like "/me rocks in his rocking chair with a faraway look", I'm not being hyperbolic; I literally use a rocking chair as a computer chair
Hey, if you force your Android application to ignore users' accessibility settings because you think your "beautiful design" is more important than text being readable, you're a dick, honestly
Bits about Latin acronyms in Japanese that got clipped from the Animal Crossing post for focus:
- Producers of Dr. Stone ship art shorten the title to "dcst". Presumably, the intention is to use the consonants from the keystrokes that that a Japanese Input Method Engine would convert to "どくたーすとーん" [dokutāsutōn]. Vowels and ん are usually left out, because the I.M.E. would convert the string to kana if they were included.
- This same style is also seen in 2ch slang like "wktk" (from ワクワクテカテカ [wakuwaku tekateka], onomatopoeic anticipation) and "ktkr" (来たこれ [kita kore], lit. "it came"; CMX's translation of the Train Man manga went with "now that's what I'm talkin' about").
- As a rule, initials are taken from whole words/compounds. 空気読めない [kūki yomenai / oblivious] is "KY", not "KKYMN".
- The loose rule of thumb I have observed is that shortened forms written in lowercase are read as the original word, whereas all-caps ones are read as the letters, just as in English initialisms. E.g. "gdgd" is read as "ぐだぐだ" [gudaguda / worn out], but JK (from 女子高生 [joshikōsei / high school girl]) is read like
/ˌd͡ʒeɪˌkeɪ/. However, this is based on my own perception and isn't attested in as many words anyplace.
I recently discovered some inaccuracies in The Cutting Room Floor's Animal Crossing article. Much of what it says about Japanese text related to a dummied-out character is incorrect (or at least very improbable). This is an outline of the problems and some possible improvements.
broke: "S&M" stands for "sadism & masochism"
woke: "S&M" stands for "Snufkin & Moomin"
© 1991 UESHIBA Riichi / Kōdansha & J-Novel. All rights reserved.
You should really be reading Discommunication
I forgot to mention before because this is the absolute stupidest shit, but I've been working on Million Tone again and remembered it suddenly, so if the identity of "Varan" was keeping anyone awake at night:
"Varanus" is the genus containing monitor lizards.
That's it, that's the joke.